Tuesday 11 January 2011

Task 5

So as a group we have designated some tasks from a booklet to each other. Some we have even done as a group. I have been signed task 5 and task 6.

Task 5: Think about this for yourself - are there any forms of media that you think society gives greater status to. For example which do people see as "better": films or television, soaps or detective dramas, opera or britpop. Do you have any feelings about the kind of audience these different forms of media attract - are some likely to be more thoughtful and more intelligent than others? 


This is a hard question to answer, as it relies on my opinion and assumption as to what kind of people like what. It's like stereotyping. Personally, I like films and television, I prefer soaps and I hate opera so I would have to prefer britpop. But these are just my opinions. Everyone is different and likes different things. Society may give greater status to films because they can be viewed on super sized screens - and anyway, film actors seem to be more famous than tv actors. Soaps and detective dramas are both in television so it's whether people prefer to be stuck in the reality side of a soap (passive) or be thrown in to a mystery in a detective drama (active). Truthfully, I have never seen opera on a popular music channel like MTV or 4Music. In my opinion, I know of no opera singers, but that might just be me. Britpop is widely known by everyone so I think it's not society's fault there. It's the media. It depends what and how a media text gets broadcast. The best way to find out what people like is a questionnaire. This way we find out exactly what people like and don't like. There's no point in assuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment